Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Indira Varma
After 3 visits reflection
November, 2015
Kira Edwards, KEdwards@bgcp.org

Before becoming my PACT project, I had never worked with the Boys and Girls club before.  I was really excited to get to know all of the kids, and to teach them about a sport that means a lot to me. During my first three visits to Garfield Middle school, both myself and my two teammates were able to work with sixth and seventh graders.  Starting with the first session, we all got out to the field, and started by leading the kids in some stretching and warmups. During warmups the kids would always be talking about what their day had been like, usually with the girls gossiping to each other while the boys teased one another.  I thought it was really interesting watching these kids talk, since most of their conversations were similar to the ones I have with my friends.  After warmups, we split the group into boys and girls.  We then handed out all of the sticks and goggles and started on some drills.  Working with the girls most of the time, it was hard since they were constantly talking and not putting a lot of effort into the drill. I wasn't expecting the challenge of getting the girls attention, and having to take charge of the drill. Only having an hour to work with the kids made it difficult as well to get their attention since we were only left with around 45 minutes to do drills.  Often times I found myself making compromises with the girls in order for them to compete in the drill.  Usually it was a trade of off them having a water break once all of them participated, or allowing them to play a fun game at the end.  However, once we introduced competition with the boys, the girls became eager to participate.  It was after this that we were able to make progress with the kids and have them have fun while also learning a lot. For my first three visits, it was hard to have a meaningful session since most of the kids didn't pay attention or refused to most of the time.  It was also hard because despite my older age, I was not yet an adult, and therefore not seen as an authoritative figure towards them.  The sessions continually became more fun though as the kids became more involved and reading to play, making it possible for me to have a relationship with some of the kids. 

No comments:

Post a Comment