Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Community Service Reflection: Jack Swisher

Service Day Reflection: Jack Swisher


1.   Today at the Veteran's Hoptel, we worked to help improve the quality of life for veterans staying there while awaiting care from the VA. We weeded, planted, cleaned garbage, cooked, and tidied up the grounds. We continued our learning into the importance of service and what something small can mean to someone who needs help.

2.   My favorite part was weeding the plants and cleaning out the planter boxes in order to plant new seedlings. It was fun because I knew that what we were doing was for the greater good and could help provide happiness to people who need some cheering up.

3.   I didn't discover anything about myself, but I discovered quite a lot about an issue I wasn't aware of before today. I never realized how many veterans become homeless or can't find jobs to help support themselves and their families. I also saw how someone who was homeless can move from homelessness to prosperity with hard-work, dedication, and a bit of luck. 

4.   In the future, I think that I will try to help more people because there are lots of social injustices that exist that need volunteers to help conquer. In addition to the benefits that other people get from people volunteering, I also feel a sense of accomplishment and happiness from helping others. I want to continue to help people through community service and volunteer opportunities that are trying to make a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment